This is a very easy, healthy and delicious version of Eggplant Parmesan that won’t heat up the galley. The eggplant is grilled on your bbq, then topped with fresh tomato, mozzarella cheese and flavoured breadcrumbs all making a lovely light, tasty version of this very popular dish.
My husband is a huge fan of eggplant parmesan, which we usually get at our local Italian Restaurant, covered in a crispy breadcrumb mixture and fried, before being smothered in tasty homemade tomato sauce. It is a truly delicious dish made in this original format. After trying this grilled version though, he gave me a huge thumbs up and said I could make it any time. It is a tasty and lighter version and very easy to make. Perfect for cooking outside on the grill on a hot summer day.
Serve Grilled Eggplant Parmesan with any type of pasta and some tomato sauce on the side for a nice filling dinner, serve with a salad if you are looking for something lighter.
If you are willing to make some of your own tomato sauce, try my Easy Tomato Sauce recipe and maybe even freeze some extra for an even faster meal next time.
Grilled Eggplant ParmesanCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
1 cup Shredded Mozzarella
2 T Panko breadcrumbs
1/3 cup Fresh Basil, chopped (substitute 3 tsp dried basil)
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Medium Eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2 in slices
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Roma plum tomatoes thinly sliced
1 T Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 lb (226 g) Penne pasta (or pasta of choice)
1 cup Pasta sauce (or Simple Tomato Sauce)
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix shredded mozzarella, breadcrumbs, basil and garlic Powder in a small bowl.
- Cook Penne according to package directions. Drain pasta and warm Pasta Sauce in same pot. Keep warm.
- Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant on one side for about 3-5 minutes, until nice grill marks appear.
- Turn and grill other side of eggplant for another couple of minutes. After about 2 minutes of cooking, top each slice with tomatoes, cheese mixture and parmesan cheese, close lid and cook until cheese is melted.
- Serve Grilled Eggplant Parmesan with cooked Penne pasta and tomato sauce. Top with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.