I really like to focus on simple recipes when I’m cooking on the boat. We certainly don’t want to spend all of our time in the galley. Always keep flavour in mind though and never compromise flavour for simplicity. This recipe for Grilled Margherita Cheat Pizza is ridiculously easy to make, but the flavours you get are fantastic. If you are looking for something quick, that gives you a good punch of flavour, this is the recipe for you.
I call this a Cheat Pizza because I don’t actually use pizza dough. These delicious pizzas are made on Naan bread. Something that is easily found in most large grocery stores today. If you can’t find Naan, Greek pita will do just as well. If you want to try this recipe with a pre-made pizza crust, go for it. Whatever you are able to get your hands on will work. Here, I use a flavoured garlic Naan and it works beautifully.
The other Cheat ingredient is canned tomatoes! Why, you ask? Well, if you find the right tomatoes, they have the perfect flavour and consistency to add a nice amount of tomato-ey flavour. With the right tomato, some good quality Mozzarella cheese, fresh basil and the smokiness of the grill, I know these pizzas will have you thinking about your favourite pizzeria, wherever you are in your travels.
Grilled Margherita Cheat PizzaCourse: Main Course, LunchDifficulty: Easy
Creamy, comforting Macaroni and Cheese.
2 7″ Round Naan Breads or Greek Pitas
1/2 of 13oz can of Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes or equivalent good quality crushed tomatoes
5 oz or about 1/2 of a ball of good quality Mozzarella, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 T chopped basil leaves
- Put BBQ grill on medium temperature. If you have a large grill with multiple burners, turn outside burners on medium-high and middle burner on low.
- Place tomatoes and garlic in a medium sized bowl and puree with hand blender until slightly pureed but still having some texture. About 30 seconds.
- When the BBQ is hot, place the naan bread in the middle of the grill and cook until nice grill marks appear, 5 minutes. Watch carefully since all BBQs are different.
- Flip naan bread over onto a plate with uncooked side down. Cover the cooked side with about 1/4 cup tomato mixture, spreading it evenly over the grilled bread. Top with sliced mozzarella.
- Place pizzas back onto grill and close the lid. Cook until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling slightly. This should about another 5 minutes.
- Remove pizzas from the grill and sprinkle with chopped basil. Serve hot.