I’ve made different versions of this recipe for many years, using a variety of spices mixed in with the yogurt, lemon and garlic. The spices I use here are all common Mediterranean ones and they are my favourite with this recipe. The yogurt marinade acts as a meat tenderizer and these Mediterranean Yogurt Chicken Skewers come out moist and flavourful.
The spices in this recipe should be in your pantry: Paprika, Allspice, Cinnamon, Oregano, Ground Pepper, and Salt. If not, make this anyway please. The exact spices will make it taste a bit different and more authentically Mediterranean, but the yogurt, lemon, garlic marinade will make your chicken so delicious that you won’t be concerned about the different spice flavour.
I add red pepper and onion to the Mediterranean Yogurt Chicken Skewers but another great addition is zucchini. Just cut vegetables it into large pieces so they cook evenly and thread onto the skewers, alternating with the chicken. Basmati rice is a great accompaniment if you have it available but any rice works well.
Mediterranean Yogurt Chicken SkewersCourse: MainCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Marinated chicken with Mediterranean spices
2 Boneless Chicken Breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
2 T Olive Oil
2 T Lemon Juice
2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
1 tsp Tomato Paste
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Allspice
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1 Onion, cut into pieces
1 Red Pepper, cut into pieces
- Add the garlic, yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, tomato paste, salt, and spices to a large bowl and mix.
- Add chicken pieces to the bowl with the yogurt mixture and stir until chicken is thoroughly coated in marinade. Place mixture into a large baggie and put in the fridge to marinate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Soak wooden skewers in water for about 15 minutes before using to stop them from burning.
- Preheat grill to Medium-High.
- Remove the chicken from the baggie and thread onto skewers, alternating with cut onion and red pepper.
- Grill for 10-15 minutes, flipping them halfway.
- Serve with Basmati rice and lightly grilled naan or pita bread (optional).