The perfect ooey, gooey comfort food; Stove Top Mac and Cheese. Of all the food I have tried and made at home for my family, everyone still puts this simple Mac and Cheese at the top of their favourites list. This was the first dish my daughter, Morgan, asked to learn how to make. This was also the one dish my other daughter, Taylor, asked for every time she was allowed to pick dinner. This recipe is simple and absolutely delicious. The version I have shared here is made completely on the stove top, using just one pot! No mess and ready in just 30 minutes. A warm bowl of comfort on the table in such a short time is a wonderful thing when you are living on your boat and just want a bit of the comfort of home.
For the ultimate in comfort and happiness, make this Stove Top Mac and Cheese the day after you have made Instant Pot Pulled Pork. The leftover pork just gets stirred into the finished Mac and Cheese, right before serving. I highly recommend this combination but if you don’t want to serve it with Pulled Pork, that is just fine. You can eat it just as it is or you can chop up any of the following ingredients and add it your finished Mac and Cheese for an extra boost of flavour:
- Crispy fried bacon
- Cooked lobster
- Cooked chicken
- Cooked ground beef
- Chopped tomatoes
- Chopped cooked vegetables such as peas, broccoli, cauliflower
Stove Top Mac and CheeseCourse: Main Course, Side, PastaDifficulty: Easy
Creamy, comforting Macaroni and Cheese.
2 cups cooked Macaroni (according to package directions)
1 T all purpose flour
1 T butter
2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
2 cup cooked and shredded pulled pork
Toppings: chopped cilantro (aka coriander)
- Put a medium pot on the stove top over medium heat and melt butter to make a roux. When butter is melted, stir in flour. Continue stirring and cooking for 1 minute, then slowly whisk in milk. When milk is completely incorporated with the butter mixture, continue whisking until sauce thickens, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheese and remove from heat when cheese is completely melted into the sauce.
- Stir in reserved macaroni and mix well.
- Stir shredded pork into macaroni or serve macaroni in bowls, with warmed shredded pork on top.
- Top with chopped cilantro (optional)